Monday, September 12, 2011

Romance 101




"One day my prince will come", wow, I remember even as a little girl how much I enjoyed watching Cinderella, rags to riches kinda of story, handsome prince that lived in a castle and after seeing her just one time falls madly in love with her. Years down the road it was The Notebook. I have to say one of my favorites except for the fact that the two main characters end up breaking up then getting back together then they die, but at least they died together. Another one of my most recent favorites, is Twilight, yes I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this, clearly a teenage love story, but I have to say, I love it. And no I'm not some crazed woman with a sparkly t-shirt that reads Team Edward or Team Jacob its just the idea that most of these movies project the notion of perfect love, a soul mate, that I think intrigues us all. That desire, I find, is clearly planted in every woman. A need to have someone love them in such a way that He would give up his life for her. Some would say its a idealist view on love but I happen to think its possible. Why on earth would God allow us to desire something so much if it were not possible. Jesus was the perfect example of that Love, laying His life down so that we could have eternal life with Him. Its sad that some people will never experience love on that level. My dad used to tell me you can teach yourself to love anybody, you can marry anyone, but seek out the one you can't live without. How true this is, I get asked a lot, you've been married for eleven years??? to the same man?? And even though Nathan never rode on a white horse, he didn't write me 365 love letters for a whole year and he's not a vampire who will live forever, he does and has always exhibited a forever love to me. It is possible girls, don't give up, don't compromise, and don't have unrealistic expectations, No one is perfect, no real life romance is. Its hard work, I'm sure at some point Cinderella's glass slippers got smudged a time or two, even the old couple in the Notebook had to deal with Alzheimer's, and Edward and Bella, well.. OK maybe not every romance is hard work but "real" romance is. And its worth it, believe me its worth it. Nathan and I may never ride off into the sunset but I'm convinced its gonna be one heck of a romance story.

1 comment:

trish said...

I love this, Esther!! Y'all are such a beautiful family :)